MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/25/2011 05:05 PM

Why does low cortisol affect your stomach??

Waytoohandsome

One sign of a severe low cortisol is nausea or vomiting.

I'm trying to figure out the connection between adrenal glands and digestion. Why should cortisol help keep your stomach calm? And why does it bother your stomach so much when you're low on it?

Anyone know or have a working guess??

01/26/2011 01:25 PM
ssinnge

Hi, I am told that our hormones affect everything in our body, it even makes my diabetes harder to manage. My endo told me that when hormones aren't in balance, which they aren't when a person has AI, that all systems in my body will be somehow upset. There is one member of this group who I know can give you a precise answer, and that is Bob3Bob. I value all his input. He knows quite a bit about this disease.

Take care.

LeeSmile

01/26/2011 05:36 PM
Waytoohandsome

Lee,, makes sense.

I'd be curious to know what Bob thinks on this, too.

But I'm too shy to ask him direct-like...

I'm working my way through the papers on his webpage. It's tons of useful stuff : seems to me that doctors should have put this type of info together, but he's beaten them to it.

01/29/2011 10:00 PM
Loralee
LoraleePosts: 54

I would say the nausea and vomiting that happens during an Addison's crisis is more specifically caused by your low blood sugar.

01/30/2011 06:24 AM
Waytoohandsome

That makes sense re: lost blood sugar. My wife is diabetic and has low blood sugar episodes regularly. One symptom of it can be nausea.

Chronic nausea even after eating (when sugar goes up), though, makes me wonder if cortisol plays some role in normal digestion.

01/31/2011 03:12 AM
Waytoohandsome

Interesting... she points out that it may be related to an ongoing cycle of inflammation and counter inflammation in the digestive system.. I imagine this is worse if someone has Celiac or Crohns or IBS.

I was reading that Celiac is more common than previously believed and may affect as many as 1 in 133 people. Logically it would be higher in Addison's patients since they're already auto immune sensitive.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved