MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/29/2010 07:35 AM

Difficulty maintaining my Fulltime Job(page 2)

teri72193
teri72193  

Doctor wanted to switch me to a liquid steroid because I have so much trouble with Absorption. They do not make a liquid HC so went with Decadron. I was supposed to be taking 5 ML twice a day, it was new for me and the doctor just told me she wanted me on 1 MG a day which converts to 5 ML twice a day, I know nothing about the metric system because it hurts my head to think about it so when I picked up the new Rx it said take 1ML once a day, so that is what I did for two weeks obviously I have primary so I make absolutely no Cortisol, started having weird symptoms but kept putting it down to other things (I know that was stupid), then all of the sudden I wake up one morning vomiting, can't breathe, horrible pain I am in crisis, my husband rushes me to doctor for emergency shot, but they can't get my cortisol up enough, auto-immune goes down, I get shingles and thrush end up in hospital with another crisis and then had to have surgery to place a j-tube because I couldn't eat. All because the pharmacist said the Rx wasn't clear to him, so he assumed... I was taking about a tenth of what I was supposed to be taking.

11/30/2010 05:18 PM
lewhoo
lewhoo  

Oh yes Bob. i do have issues with fluid balance and B/P. tryin to keep balanced. Thank God for diuretics!! Too lil cotisol--low Too much HC--too hi. Its a jugglin act...I'm sure you have yours down to Science by now...but I still workin on it. I should be an expert soon though.Tongue lol.

11/30/2010 05:29 PM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Well I dont go the diuretic course. My management is basically water regulation, HC intake and eating salt. ie I dose HC for fatigue/energy/cognition, drink water (hoping enough mineralocorticoid comes from the HC) and if I have to keep restrooming but staying dry I eat salt. Hydration feedback is dry throat/sore muscles at one (low) extreme and ankle bloating/high BP at the other.

It does all vary a lot though, especially in HC stress dose situations and when I add Pred. Right now I have to lower my HC intake and that dries me out more!

Science with unbounded data! Reminds me of "normal" Cortisol levels!

Bob

12/01/2010 05:31 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

Hey Bob, wanted to let you know my family doc finally listened to me and increased my Dex to 6 ml twice a day because once we increased it back to the 5 ML once a day I didn't feel like I had the flu all the time. So he wants to see if increasing it in small doses will help with this pain and swelling I have been having. So, I started that today. I am still having terrible swelling and pain in legs, hips, back, arms, and stomach. Even my face is a bit swollen. Have discovered that whenever I eat any kind of food I swell big time. If I just tube feed, not so much swelling. Can you imagine not being able to eat anything?? I don't know if I could handle that or not. I guess I would have too.

12/01/2010 11:53 AM
bob3bob3

Okay good move Teri

I wonder too if you are going to have more problems as it gets colder. ie will more Dex be needed as your body has to keep its temperature up.

12/02/2010 07:45 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

Yes you are correct, it is snowing here and very cold and yesterday it started and I have to say I was miserable. I got off work at noon and went home and bundled up and was so achy. I didn't take my temperature, probably should have.

12/02/2010 11:10 AM
bob3bob3

Snow, whats that? Have to go look in the fridge!

With my adrenaline frustrations of late I have being swinging wider with AI hypo and hyper states. I have had the "freezing colds" in the evening on a few occasions as well as gyrating BP and feet bloating. Horribly, if I stay sedentary it isn't difficult to control. Yesterday though I was planning for that kind of quiet day and had taken 30mg of HC already, when I found I had to go to the doctors at 4PM. I felt okay walking the first 500 yards but then the adrenaline started again and I went into an OD state of high BP. That wore me out real quick!

Oh I have just claimed disability by the way. Very different process to the US. Shall fill you in on the details later.

Bob

12/06/2010 06:45 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

Bob: Yes let me know how the disability thing goes, I have several friends who suffer from Bi-Polar that have gotten on disability and they said it took a year or two and a couple of them had to get attornies involved, I would hate to do that. Not sure what the precendce is for Addison's because it is rare? So you don't get snow in Oz?

12/06/2010 02:18 PM
bob3bob3

Hi Teri

Oh we get snow, just really only on mountain tops! This town supposedly gets it one day per year on average but you are talking only 1/4" or so. Where I lived in TX is roughly the same latitude as Sydney but even inland here at that height its very very rare to see any snow.

I shd probably know about my case by late January. Christmas kind of slows things a bit and I am not exactly rushing things. Even if I miss the qualification mark I'll still get assistance.

Bob

12/06/2010 03:06 PM
teri72193
teri72193  

I am glad you will get assistance Bob! This is a horrible disease I can't believe how far down I have gone, it is really upsetting at times. We have about 5" of snow on the ground right now here in northern Indiana. Still coming down. I am walking with a cane now and it is so scary out there in the ice and snow.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved