MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/28/2008 06:39 PM

OPIATE ADDICTION and the MEDS that might help

misshummingbird
Frenchie  
VIP Member

Prescription Drugs Commonly Misused

There are three classes of drugs that make up those prescribed by doctors, but those most often abused are opioids or opiates, which are prescribed for pain relief after surgery and chronic pain management. Some of these prescriptions include:

Codeine

Diphenoxylate or Lomotil

Fentanyl or Duragesic

Hydrocodone prescribed as Vicodin, Lortab, and Lorcet

Hydromorphone or Dilaudid

Meperidine or Demerol

Methadone

Morphine prescribed as Kadian, Avinza, and MS Contin

Oxycodone prescribed as OxyContin, Percodan, and Percocet

Propoxyphene or Darvon

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------

The Mechanics of Prescription Drug Addiction

In order to successfully manage pain, opioid drugs attach to what are known as opioid receptors in both the brain and the spinal cord. The pain does not desist but your perception of that pain changes and in some cases, depending upon the dosage and other physical factors, a feeling of euphoria may replace it. Other indications include drowsiness, constipation and a depressed respiratory system.

However, in the long-term, the use of opioids to block pain builds up a tolerance or a dependence upon the drug. Without the prescription drug, your body feels pain even more acutely and loses the ability to manage itself. Additionally, withdrawal symptomsappear when levels of the prescription opioid drop below the elevated tolerance level. Depending upon the individual circumstance, this dependence can develop over as few as two weeks or may take up to a month or more.

Unexpected Addiction

Addiction to pain medication can occur even when following a doctor's prescription to the letter and through no fault of the patient. This, however, makes addiction to pain killers and other prescription medications no less serious. Severe respiratory issues and fatal doses are still an issue, no matter how the problem began.

We must understand that the roads to addiction are many and makes no judgment. but we here go out of our way to help you travel the path to freedom from that addiction as quickly and simply as possible.

Methadone is physically addictive. This means that if you should abruptly cease or significantly decrease your dose, you will experience withdrawal symptoms. These withdrawal symptoms can be debilitating and, in some cases, fatal. Unfortunately, even when taken exactly as prescribed, regular use of methadone can be uncomfortable with many patients complaining of excessive sweating and intense fatigue. The risk of feeling 'sick' may often seem worth the risks.

Opiate detox that is not medically assisted can result in severe withdrawal symptoms on the par of a serious flu including:

Nausea and vomiting

Hot and cold chills

Irritability and panic

Constipation

Insomnia and restlessness

Bone and muscle pain

More Opiate Detox Articles Opiate Abuse

Opiate Detoxification

Mental Detox During Outpatient Opiate Detox

Opiate Addiction

Opiate Overdose

Opiate Rehab

Opiate Withdrawal

Rapid Opiate Detox

Opiate Treatment

In those with other physical problems in addition to opioid-based prescription drug addiction, an opiate withdrawal that occurs without the assistance and supervision of a doctor can result in permanent damage to the cardiopulmonary system and even death.

What is Suboxone?

Suboxone is a combination of two drugs, buprenorphine and naloxone, which is prescribed for those struggling with opiate addiction. Subutex is a similar drug made of buprenorphine only. Both have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating opiate addiction outside the clinic setting.

It's possible but unlikely. In order to prescribe any form of buprenorphine, including Subutex or Suboxone, a doctor must be certified specifically in the drug's restrictions and dispensation. Your family doctor may be a good candidate to assist you in chronic pain management without the use of opiates after you have successfully detoxed.

09/28/2008 06:44 PM
misshummingbird
Frenchie  
VIP Member

http://www.winthewarondrugs.com/product.php?video=large

This AD sounds quite promising,,anyway, if you haven't already looked into it, read it.

09/29/2008 09:03 AM
sadlock
sadlock  

Misshummingbird - do you have any idea how long the withdrawal from Lortab lasts? I did a detox in the hospital for 5 days last week but couldn't take the Suboxone because it made me violently ill (moreso than the withdrawal). I'm still having the abdominal pain and nausea and was just wondering how long I can expect it to last??? Terri

09/29/2008 10:03 PM
misshummingbird
Frenchie  
VIP Member

Terri, I was addicted to Lortab10 and Somas many years ago, and my withdraw period was 10 days, opposed to your 5 days, in Detox then rehab. I don't remember the name of the injections I was being given the first five days of the 10 days I was there. I will do a search and probably call my rehab center in Fla where I stayed since I a still friends with some of the staff and see if they can tell me. The ache I experianced in my stomach adn the nausea lasted about 7 of those days. Please keep me posted PM me if you need to to let me know how you are doing..meanwhile I will try to find some answers for you

Stay strong dearHeart...start a journal and watch some comedies on the tube, it will pass sweetheart..it will pass.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved