MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/28/2008 11:33 AM

tumors in the lining of the brain?

annieinthewindow
annieinthewindow  

Hi, it's been a while.The last time I was at the doctor's, Having been symptom free for a few years, the doctor told me to make sure I have my yearly mri because I could get tumors in the lining of my brain from conventional radiation I had several years ago. Has anyone heard of this? Is it bad? I kind of thought I had no more worries and now I am worried again.

Ann

12/28/2008 11:16 PM
Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

I personally have never heard of this, and if it's true they were required to give you informed consent of such before doing the radiation on you. I'd get a second opinion. Again, I may be wrong - not a doctor - but I never heard of this.

Cindy

12/30/2008 05:35 PM
annieinthewindow
annieinthewindow  

I'm sure I signed my life away at the time. Whe you are 20 years old, you are too naive to know you have choices and options.

12/31/2008 06:14 PM
Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

Don't beat yourself up over it. You needed the radiation and probably would have signed it anyway. That's what we stopped and thought about the one Todd had to sign before his radiation. It was Proton Radiation though, so a completely different set of potential risks, and they named them ALL! The doc even said "This isn't meant to scare you. Chances of these things happening are about 1 in 10,000. So as far as yours, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I mean, I guess get it checked out once in awhile to be on the safe side, but a doctor once told me to have regular eye exams because the medication I was on caused cataracts, and it turned out that rats given 4 X just under the lethal dose for a year got them. Shows you how doctors can exaggerate to cover their butts.

Happy New Year!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved