MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 06:16 PM

Is this bad? HELP!

equinehumor

I am not sure if I even have Misophonia. People usually just tell me to suck it up and leave it alone.

I hate:

-smacking on food

-slurping on food

-scraping on plates

-straws sucking on empty glasses

-heavy breathing

-people burping

-weezing

-coughing

My dad does ALL of these! He smack on liquids and slurps on solid food! Yes, I said it right! He is really bad about it, too. He will sit there for 45 minutes after we have eaten and suck on his teeth to get the food particles out. Every night at dinner I dig my nails into my thighs to keep shut up. I feel really bad about being angry and I feel goofy about being mentally unstable... or am I? Am I mentally unstable? I don't know what to make of this! I am so afraid that I will ruin my relationship with my father (which is teetering on the edge as it is) just over somthing as silly as smacking. Nobody understands. I have pretty good will power and put up with a lot of stress socially, academically, and physically everyday so I know I can handle it. Is this a real condition? HELP!

04/17/2012 12:14 PM
BabsBijoux
BabsBijoux  

Sounds like you have Misophonia. And your father is being incredibly insensitive and rude. From a fellow sufferer ...

04/21/2012 05:51 PM
linda103

I have this condition too, I am 45. I had it mildly as a teen but as I'm older it is worse and socially isolating. I cannot stand being around my husband while he eats because of the chewing, smacking, slurping etc.. he knows I have these issues and mindlessly does it anyhow. Now just knowing he is eating bothers me, if I can hear his spoon hitting the bowl it drives me nuts. Other sounds include animal noises such as grooming, licking, eating, drinking. The sound of music coming from someone elses house or car drives me insane especially bass noises. I spend hours a day wearing earplugs.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved